Tag Archives: child custody

Can I Relocate With My Child After a Divorce?
Going through a divorce is a challenging experience for everyone in the family. Following a divorce, you may consider making some life changes. One of the changes may be to move out of the area. You may want to take a job in another city, or you might prefer to move closer to your family. If you have shared parenting of your children, picking up and moving is not always easy. You will need to get approval from the other parent and/or the court if you want to relocate with your child. What is Relocation? When you simply want to move across town, you will not need permission from the courts or from the other parent. However, if you want to move further than 50 miles away, Florida statutes consider it relocation. Relocation applies when a parent will move further away than 50 miles and plans to stay.
The Consequences of Violating Court-Ordered Parenting Time
Most parents are able to put aside their differences and adhere to a parenting plan and child custody arrangements approved by a court. This civility benefits the child and allows parents to maintain contact in the long term with the aim of reducing the likelihood for conflict. However, not all parents are this cooperative. There are situations in which parents have valid concerns motivating them to ignore the terms of a parenting plan, but there are also instances in which parents violate the parenting plan for personal reasons that usually relate to a desire to hurt their former spouse or partner. An alleged abduction by a mother in Miami recently triggered a statewide Amber Alert after the child was taken from a court-appointed guardian. The mother planned to take the child to Mexico, but was discovered with the child in Texas.
Can I Move Out of State with My Child?
As a divorced parent ,you are likely sharing child custody with your former spouse. However, in general, children usually live primarily with one parent and have visitation with the other. When the primary custodial parent wants to move out of state, what can be done? The answer depends on what is in your parenting plan as part of your divorce in Brevard County. Parenting Plans and Shared Custody You and your spouse prepared a parenting plan that was included in your Florida divorce decree. The parenting plan addresses all types of issues such as where the children reside, how visitation works, how holidays and vacations are to be spent, and more. It also likely addresses how to handle changes to the plan. Minor changes such as the time of visitation pick-up can be easily negotiated between parents without court intervention. However, when one parent wants to make a major.