Tag Archives: criminal defense

Can I Get a Downward Departure on My Case?
If you are found guilty of a crime, the law generally stipulates sentencing guidelines that the judge follows when he or she orders a sentence. A downward departure occurs when the judge departs from the applicable sentence and orders a lower sentence than is recommended for a particular crime. A downward departure can be utilized only in the sentencing of some types of crimes and only when mitigating factors are present. What is a Downward Departure? In Florida, the state uses a computer system to assign scores to every person who is accused of a crime. Scores are calculated using a formula that is designated in the Florida Department of Corrections Criminal Punishment Code (CPC). Each crime is assigned a level and associated numerical value. It applies to sentencing for all felonies, except for capital felonies, that were committed after October 1, 1998. A person convicted of a.
What to do if You Have an Outstanding Arrest Warrant
When you find out that you have a warrant for your arrest, you may immediately begin to panic. It can be a terrifying feeling to know that the police might arrest you at any time. You certainly want to resolve the situation as quickly and efficiently as possible with as little embarrassment to you and your family. It can be extremely helpful to seek guidance from an experienced Brevard County criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. Find Out the Reason and Source of the Warrant Arrest warrants can be issued for any number of reasons and from various jurisdictions. Before you can do something about the warrant, you need to first find out where it originated and why. Then you will be able to follow the proper procedure for responding to it.
  • Failure to Appear Warrants: A warrant will be issued if you miss a required court.
What to do if You are Accused of a Sexual Crime
Over the last two years there has been an increased awareness of sexual crimes in the United States. With more and more alleged crimes coming to light, there are more people being accused of this type of wrongdoing. Certainly some of the people who were accused are innocent of the alleged crimes. If you were wrongly accused of a sex crime, the first thing to do is seek assistance from a qualified criminal defense attorney. Your lawyer will guide you through the process and assist you every step of the way. Have Your Attorney Present for Questioning Although you may want to talk to authorities in an attempt to clear your name, the opposite could happen. Do not speak with law enforcement until you first consult with your criminal defense attorney. It is your right to have an attorney present during questioning, and keep in mind that if.